Saturday 11 June 2011

How I Remove My Nail Stains

Remember the comparison post between gold comparison post that I did here? After that I did a gold manicure on 2030 here?

Much as I like the gold manicure, I don't think I'll ever use 2030 as a base coat ever again. Why? It stained my nails like crazy!

I underestimated 2030. It has great staining power. When I did my gold comparison, I did it without using any base coat, because I thought I'd remove it in a while anyway.

When I did the gold manicure, there are some fingers which I skipped the base coat the second time round when I made some smudges because I never thought a gold would stain. Boy, was I wrong!

It made some terrible yellow staining on some fingers, and overall, there was visible staining on other fingers too.

I was thinking to let it grow out of the staining, but I recalled seeing some methods of removing stains so I thought I might as well give it a shot.

Immediately after removing all the nail polish on my fingers, I noticed the stains. First of all, I washed my hands clean of acetone.

Then, I remembered reading that fresh stains are easier to remove than old stains, so I was motivated to try to remove them asap.

I went to the toilet and washed my fingers thoroughly with hand soap. Then I use toothpaste and rub  them on my fingernails. I leave them for about a minute then rinse clean.

Next, I squeeze some toothpaste onto my toothbrush and used it to brush my fingernails. I brushed them vertically first, then horizontally (not sure it mattered or not), spending about 30 seconds on each fingers. Then  I made the 'claw hand' and brush all my fingers together.

After rinsing clean, I repeat the previous step with more toothpaste.

After that, I clean my hands again with hand soap.

Whallllaaaa.... it was definitely rid of the stains! Unbelievable! I would say it was 90-95% rid of the fresh stains, I was never so glad to see pink on my fingernails again!

After buffing them, I would definitely say my fingernails are 98% back to its normal state.

Removing stains with toothpaste was one of the many methods that I have seen on the internet, but I think this method made the most sense, which was my reason for choosing it.

If it helps, I used Colgate Advanced Whitening and Stain Removal toothpaste which look like this (I didn't purposely choose this brand,  it was what I was using at the moment):


Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment